Below is a list of family papers about the WALKERs, from Kirkliston, Mid Lothian (and related families), that are being posted onto AFamilyHistoryBlog. I will try to keep this list updated with links to each piece about Walker family papers that I post onto the blog .
You can view all the related posts under the category; WALKER
Given that among the Walker family papers, I also have a lot of papers relating to the JOHNSTONs of Bathgate, West Lothian (who married into the Walker family), I’m going to create a seperate page listing those papers. See HERE. Some papers with a strong overlap will apear in both lists.
This is an on-going project (begun in 2015) to share details of these old family documents via AFamilyHistoryBlog for the benefit of all who have a shared ancestry, or other interest, in these families.
In 2015 I posted;
- A history of the WALKER family – first written by T.G.A. WALKER in about 1957, based on older family papers and his own research. I retyped the history, with minor edits and corrections, and with some additional information/details inserted, originally in 2004, with further additions/editing in response to further research at several subsequent dates.
- A Genealogical Chart of the JOHNSTON Family, Bathgate, West Lothian. This tree covers 7 generations of the JOHNSTON family and their descendants, from 1692 to 1906. It appears to have been compiled by an Alexander CUTHBERT, who had married into the JOHNSTON family in 1888. No date is given for when this tree was compiled (though Google Books has an entry for the publication HERE, giving a publication date of 1909.).
During 2016-2017 my plan is to post details and scans of a number of old Walker family documents onto AFamilyHistoryBlog. I will aim to update this page with the links as I go.
Contents of an envelope labeled “Old Wills etc. of the Walker family” (I will first list the papers that directly relate to or describe the Walker family, in date order – oldest first; then the papers to which Walker family members were witnesses, but which describe families/relationships of unknown relationship to the Walker family);
- Contract of marriage betuext William Waacker and Elizabeth Barron – 1728
- Disposition of William Walker, tenant in Hiddlefolds – 1763
- Discharge from Thomas to James Walker – 1766
- Lease of Hiddlefaulds to James Walker – 1775
- letter from James Gray, to James Walker in Hiddlefaulds – 1785?
- I, James Walker – 1789
- Disposition – of John Lishman to Isobell Gray – 1749
- Discharge – from Patrick Keir to William Walker (re. John Leishman) 1753
- Discharges – from the heirs of John Lishman – 1754
- Disposition – by John Samuel to his spouse & children – 1798
- letter from James Kettle – re. Mr Calderwood’s Bond – 1801
Other WALKER family papers, from chest;
- Lease of Hiddlefaulds farm, to James Walker – 1813
- Inventory of Effects at Hiddlefaulds and Kilpunt – August 1840
- Lease of Kilpunt farm, to Margaret Johnston (or Walker) – 1884
- JOHNSTON samplers
- A history of Kilpunt – by Robert Barclay-Allardice – 1880
- Some old photos of the WALKER family – Photos of James WALKER & Margaret JOHNSTON, and of their eldest son, John Johnston WALKER.
- John Johnston WALKER, 1848 – 1891
- James Hope WALKER, RFC, 1896 – 1917